Wednesday 2 December 2020

YOU WILL NOT WALK ALONE!


I take solace in my corner of the room wondering why is life such a maze, a puzzle that is a continuous never ending mystery with no solution in sight. As I take the sip of the hot herbal hibiscus, berry fused tea with a hint of mint & splash of teaspoon of honey, I stroke my beard in wonderment. Is this all what life has to offer me as a bargaining chip for me taking up space in this on earth as an involuntary tenant?

That I am to live & survive the great purge that comes with being a human. The daily woes of what shall I eat, what shall I drink, where shall I sleep, how shall I earn a living, what clothes shall I wear, who loves & cares about me, all of which are now a thing of the past like the shadow. Hanging in the back ground like a bad omen banished never to come back again from the swamps. 

Well, it is what it is, as the common catch line gets to roll off the tongue with ease. I shall be no hostage to the emotions of despair but shall rise up like the phoenix from the ashes & wielding my spear like Shaka Zulu letting out a loud war cry as I plunge head on into war with the elements. Here I am ready to take on life but remember, I am not alone. 

I have my trusty companion by my side. My best friend, my confidant, my warrior, my trustee who as God wills shall be my side till kingdom come. Let me ask you, who is there for you to hold you up when it seems like the Armageddon showing its horrifying face in the distant horizon warning of that which is yet to come. Are you the wondering soul who believes that it is by your own stride that you have gotten this far! 

You have no need for anyone else being in your space as you are the lone wolf. It is indeed a sorry state of affairs that we are at times not by our own choice, like the lepers in the time of Christ in solitude. Shunned like as if you are having leprosy, covering you from head to your very toe in painful sores. Well, no matter what it is that has been thrown at you by the world at large you should never feel alone. 

You may be an introvert but still you must have a connection with a particular person or persons. This is not to say that having alone time is a bad thing, it is a necessity at times to enable you soak in the serenity of nature & quietness of your own surroundings. When we take it upon ourselves to be the light that someone may need in their dark times. 

It may simply be that greeting on a daily, a hi here & there, a hug of comfort, small talk when possible, checking up on that person, sharing a meal, having a drink (preferably coffee or tea) together, the list goes on & on. Who are we but stewards in an unpredictable world that expects us to live in a certain lifestyle & conform to societal mind-set. 

We need to take it upon ourselves to be there for those who need us. It may seem like an uphill task, as at times when you try to be there for someone, they may tend to shut you down or deem you interfering in their business & being nosy. That does not mean that we don’t try to do that which we can. It may seem hopeless but do note that there is light at the proverbial tunnel. 

Indeed, it is hard but who said that it is impossible. It is up to you to hold the hand not literally but more so to be there for of those who seem to have no hope, no faith, no provisions, no belief, no reason to live, are depressed, are stressed & so forth. It may seem like as if you are helpless for those who are having it rough but believe me that the small act of kindness in whatever form means more than you can imagine. 

It could be a text just checking up on someone, a phone call to have a bit of chit chat, going over for a visit, saying hello to someone on the way etc. This does go a long way in someone’s life by knowing that though it may seem that he/she is alone, they are not actually alone because someone out there has them in mind. Thus not going with the phrase out of sight is out of mind. 

It is when you have gone through the patch that molds you that you realize who was there for you during those times. In the coming days considering that it is meant to be the beginning of the festive season look at what you have done for others who aren’t able to do anything for you in return. The times have been tough but we are tougher than we look & you better believe it. 

This has been a year that has come with its own baggage & unpredictable situations that have made it one of a kind roller coaster. Our continued standing with each other during this times has made it a worthwhile journey. We have a living God that has kept us this far. There are greater days ahead & we need to be there for one another. 

Let me leave you with this, “If you want to walk fast walk alone but if you want to walk far walk with others”.

No comments:

Post a Comment